Sunday, October 27, 2013

Week #3: MTC

Well guess what everybody?? Since I leave on November 18, tomorrow is technically the halfway mark of the MTC! I'm actually really glad because this whole cafeteria food is getting old. I'll probably miss American food in general when I get to the Philippines. Good thing I like rice a lot, right? haha

So I've learned a few things this week. First off, don't sing in the shower. People try to harmonize with you and it just gets super awkward. I've resorted back to showering before bed because there's a sister who sings in the morning and I have never met anybody who knows that many songs from Broadway and Disney. So at least she can sing, but every morning I just glare at myself in the mirror brushing my teeth while she's singing and wonder how someone can be so happy and cheerful at six in the morning. And it's like 3 octaves higher than the average person sings. Maybe I'm just jealous I don't have an amazing voice like that. haha I guess I need to be a happier person in the morning.

I can't believe how organized the MTC is! Our zone sets up and takes down the chairs for our service projects and THEY MEASURE HOW FAR APART THE CHAIRS NEED TO BE!!! Who does that? Only Mormons. Really. Oh ya. Sundays are my favorite day here. The sisters get to go to Music and the Spoken word before Relief Society while the Elders go to priesthood and district meetings. I hate to say it, but even in the MTC they really do take care of and favor the sisters! 

Guess what mom? I eat bananas every single day. Remember the part where I hated bananas before coming to the MTC? And I all of a sudden love vegetables. I'm obviously lacking in nutrition if I'm craving healthy foods all the time. Besides, the fruit is really the most edible thing here. AND THE PIZZA! I was so happy when they served us pizza last week, and they ordered it again last night! Those poor people who have to deliver all those pizzas. I can't believe they even do it. 

At the beginning of the week, we had a lesson on stress and the big title on the board said, "What is stress?" I burst out laughing so hard when I walked in the classroom and saw it and was like, "That's a funny joke!" and then everyone in my district kept laughing with me because I could not stop laughing. What? Stress? On a mission? Never heard of it. (Joke lang. Haha whenever they joke in the Philippines they always say Joke lang!) Anyways... our teacher, Brother Pearce, made us run around the entire MTC, and we went up to the highest building and looked over the valley. Then he said we had 3 minutes to go find someone on campus and bear our testimonies in Tagalog. That was one of my favorite lessons. He just basically told us we are going to be ok. He also taught us a lesson two nights ago on the Plan of Salvation and related it to a mission. The MTC is like the premortal life and the airplane ride is like the veil. You fall asleep on the plane and wake up in some strange land. But it's ok because we have the Lord and our trainers to help us. And we learn step by step. Line upon line, precept upon precept. And Sister Osborn, our other teacher said to remember that we might wish we had the opportunity to go back to the beginning of our missions and change things because of what we learned, but she reminded us to "Don't look back, only change." And I've seen that in the past few weeks I've been here. I've learned how to really rely on the Lord and I wish I could go back to the first day I got here. It would be a lot easier with the knowledge I have now. But they only thing we can do in life is "press forward with a steadfastness in Christ." We came to this life so that we CAN learn. We just have to make the future better!

It was so hard last Sunday because half of our zone left. We all stood in the hall and sang "God be with you till we meet again." Not only did it sound amazing, but the spirit was so strong! Every time we all sing as missionaries, my heart just wants to burst out of my chest. And two more districts leave this Monday too! Gah! I keep becoming attached to these incredible elders and sisters. I can't believe that's going to be me leaving in a few weeks!

Wowwwww, I just realized I didn't start my washer. This whole time I've been on here. So there's that........ These are normal things that happen to me so it's really not that big of a deal. hahaha

Well, I hope everyone is doing well. I love hearing from everybody! Mahal kita!

Love,
Sister Stettler

No comments:

Post a Comment