Sunday, November 17, 2013

Week #6: Last week of MTC

Hello all!

This week flew by and was filled with many tears and much laughter. I have felt every single emotion this week as I have prepared to head out into the field on Monday (AH!). So here are a few random things from this week:

Last P-day two of our districts (there's twelve of us and we are all leaving on Monday) had the chance to go to the temple cafeteria after doing a session. The food was heavenly compared to the food here at the MTC! haha Nah, they actually do have pretty decent food for how many missionaries they have to serve. But I am so ready for some Filipino food! Even if it does make me sick for the first few weeks. Our whole zone tries to avoid rice as much as possible because we will be eating so much of it for the next year and a half/two years. Good thing I love that stuff.

L. Tom Perry came and spoke to us on Tuesday!!! He talked about how important it is to get along with your companion. I have been so blessed to have a companion I get along with. One who puts up with my humor! She helps me work my hardest and I love that about her! Elder Perry also explained how important it is to have two witnesses. We are both able to testify with power. He said so much and my notes are really just a lot of personal impressions so I'm not sure what else to say about it. He and Sister Perry also both started off their talks by talking about the disasters in the Philippines. I'm not sure if I said this in a previous email, but our branch president told us at the beginning of our MTC experience to start praying for the people of the Philippines. That their hearts may be open to the gospel. And especially that we would come to love them. So from the beginning I have come to have a deep love for these people that I haven't even met yet! And when I found out about the horrific storm, I just cried and cried for them! I mean, disasters are devastating of course, but when you have a connection, it's so much harder! I pray for them every single day. I just want to get out there and help them so bad! Even if I don't know the language. The spirit is definitely a worldwide language and I'm so grateful that I will be able to use that because that's my greatest tool! Anyways, when the Perrys talked about all the missionaries being accounted for, I was just overcome with such a peaceful feeling. Heavenly Father really does take care of His missionaries and I have no need to fear. One thing I wrote down was that I won't be able to keep up with the Lord. I feel like I have grown so much in the past few weeks, yet I just can't keep up with the work the Lord has for me! I love that we can always improve and learn. Life would definitely get boring if there wasn't more to learn. Dad always taught me that.

The new members of our zone are so cute! They always come to us with questions and I'm surprised that I can answer their questions about the language with the little bit I know. I just think it's funny how we always thought the people a few weeks ahead of us were so mature and ready to go out into the field and now here we are! About to become the greenies! And they still think we know a lot more than them... Sike!

Oh hey. It's snowing today! But most of you already know that. I didn't think I would get to see snow before I left the MTC. I'm wearing basketball shorts today because I had to wash my jeans. #missionarylyfe (that just happened). I didn't realize how much I'll miss snow! So tender little mercy from the Lord. I sat on my bed this morning reading my scriptures and watching the fluffy snowflakes. And we've been singing Christmas songs all morning. Great day!

As I said at the beginning, this week was filled with lots and lots of emotions. We're still not exactly sure where we are going when we get to the Philippines. Last week we were told we might be reassigned to Manila for awhile, but then were told by the MTC that we will probably be taking ground transportation to Naga instead of flying. So... I'm pretty sure we're going to our mission! Just driving a loooooooooong ways. The storm didn't really hit our mission though. So we will see! It's a little scary to not know! But Heavenly Father will send me wherever He needs me! I'm taking a giant leap of faith. I can't believe they try to teach us as much of Tagalog as they can in less than six weeks then send us to a foreign country. But it must work because they've been doing it for years! Last week in sacrament meeting I prayed that I would be guided and comforted and Brother Christofferson, one of the counselors in the branch presidency got up and talked about how we might be feeling that very moment. I know it may have been for some of the other missionaries, but he looked right at me as he spoke. I just knew it was for me. He said that some of us may be feeling very inadequate to go teach a people of a different culture in a language we don't know. That we may feel like we don't have enough knowledge to teach. I thought I knew my scriptures pretty well before leaving, but as I've been reading, I learn more and more every time from the Book of Mormon. As he spoke, he told us that that doesn't matter. He related us to Joseph Smith. He was not a learned man, but look at all the amazing things he did because he was taught by the spirit! That's the only example I remember. But I was just overcome by the biggest feeling of peace and spiritual strength. I know that Heavenly Father will help me become fluent in the language. He will help me teach by the spirit as I rely on Him. And I will learn so much on my mission! Again, the learning NEVER ends! To add onto it, we had In-field training yesterday, and we talked about the pioneers. They didn't know what they were doing exactly. They were doing what the Lord had commanded them. This whole week has taught me to completely take a leap of faith, not always knowing the outcome, but knowing that Heavenly Father has a plan and purpose for me. I KNOW that He will never leave any of His children alone. He loves us so very much! And with that, I will talk to you next time in the Philippines! Mahal ko kayo!

Love,
Sister Stettler

                     Hair is all gone!

The two districts who are leaving on Monday. I will miss them!

This is my district! The elders are outnumbered by the sisters. Hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment