Monday, December 23, 2013

Week #11

Start singing the Handel's Messiah because we have progressing investigators!!! ...and because it's Christmas. This week was a very humbling week. I've started to realize the harder the day or week is, the more I learn. It comes to a point where you have no where else to turn to except the Lord for help. Which is EXACTLY what I should be doing as a missionary, right? This is His work. This is His gospel and I must have His help. I think it was Abraham Lincoln that said, "Sometimes I am driven to my knees with the conviction that I have nowhere else to go." I have had a lot of those experiences lately and I think I've about prayed for everything there is to pray for. haha

I've started to improve in the language, teaching, and adjusting to the demands of missionary life in the past two weeks and it has been evidence to me that Heavenly Father is there and is helping me because I wouldn't be this far if it wasn't for His help. I've become more confident in my abilities and maybe a little over confident, especially as I've been told by some missionaries how well and fast I'm progressing. I've had to be careful and remember not to become prideful about it. I have a great trainer and I am so blessed. Well, as I've been progressing, I thought... "Oh no." I knew what was coming. I knew Heavenly Father was about to chastise me again and remind me that He's the one helping me. That was last week then this week He really put me to the test and he constantly humbles me. I'm really working on the whole humility thing still. And I know I will be for the rest of my life. I'm so far from perfect I wonder if I'll ever get to that point one day!

I went on exchanges on Tuesday with one of the STL's (Sister Training Leaders). Sister Simbol was my companion for a day and I learned so much from her! I was really sad to find out she's leaving this transfer. It was a pretty busy week. We had the New Missionary Workshop and we all sat in a circle and laid our feelings out. That was weird. I don't like telling a bunch of strangers my deep feelings. That was where I realized how great my trainer really is. Some of the new missionaries are having a really hard time adapting to the mission life. I have the same feelings about learning the language, but that's about all. It's frustrating not to be able to understand what people are saying of course. But I can carry simple conversations now and sometimes I just say, "Ay, talaga?" and "Opo" though... I usually know the subject of the conversation so that's good I guess. It's coming along. Then Thursday we had a Christmas Conference! I ended up being in the talent show... I didn't even know we were having a talent show... I accompanied Elder Young and that was, well, interesting. They called him up to the stage and I went up with him to go play the piano and one of the AP's, Elder Colipapa was like, "No, not you Sister Stettler!" And I just said, "I'm just playing the piano!" Everyone got a good laugh out of that. Yay. My life is full of moments like that. But I got to see Sister Coons again and I was so so so excited to see her! I think we hugged twice in the MTC and when we reunited Thursday, we didn't let go forever. So there's the little tidbit from our Christmas celebration.

Yesterday, Sister Rose and her kids and Sister Jessica came to church again! I hope they continue to progress and are prepared for their baptism date which is in January. The thing I've loved about a mission is learning what charity is. I pray for people I barely know, yet I'm coming to love them so much and learn so much about them and try to do all I can to help meet the needs of those I teach. What a marvelous work it is to help bring salvation to the souls of others! Heavenly Father trusts us so much and I hope that I can do my best in fulfilling the responsibilities He's given me.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas!!! I keep telling people to enjoy the snow for me, so I hope you all do! Mahal ko kayo!

Love,
Sister Stettler 

No comments:

Post a Comment