Saturday, December 14, 2013

week #9

Well this week was definitely an adventure! I started off the week by eating balut! Of course I said I would try it and that I did. After our district taught our first English class, we headed to Open Sea, the restaurant our district eats out at all the time. I'm pretty sure I'll end up trying every single weird thing on that menu by the end of this transfer. haha Anyways, I tried eating the balut, ran to the bathroom, threw up, then went home and ate oreos. Yup... So much for having a strong stomach! It took an hour for my district to get me to eat it. I promised I would actually swallow it before the end of the transfer. Oh goodness. I've had a hard time making sure I keep everything down that I eat this week. Crazy food here! It really is delicious..... but not all of it. haha
We also went to the beach this morning and had a picnic! The Elders cooked for us and actually did a pretty good job. I was impressed. Except for the part where they forgot to salt and pepper everything. haha I appreciated their efforts though. So Merry Christmas to us! Going to the beach in December. I keep forgetting it's December it's so hot here. So everyone back home enjoy the snow for me and I'll enjoy the beach here for you! ;)

I loved really getting into the work this week! My companion is feeling a lot better. Prayer works. And that is all. We have been teaching a family that just soaks up our message and asks a lot of questions every time we go. They love everything we've taught them but they won't come to church! Just like one of the sisters from the district says, "Just come to church!!!!!!!" Really though. It is so disheartening when your investigators commit to church and then don't show up. But on the bright side, we've been getting our less actives to come and they've been doing their reading assignments. It makes me so happy because I see how much happier they are as they work on becoming closer to our Savior.
I really want to focus on the importance of member missionaries. I have before, but it is SO CRUCIAL that members help in missionary work!!! Try to put yourself in the shoes of an investigator or new member. The "Mormon world" has it's own culture and language, without really meaning to, and I think we forget that they don't really know what's going on. We really are a peculiar people, are we not? haha That's why it's so important to fellowship. Baptizing is pointless if these sons and daughters of Heavenly Father come to know the truth and then fall away because they don't feel welcome at church! It's like baptizing someone in a bucket with a hole in it. Pointless. That's what happens a lot of the time. To me, it reminds me of the scripture where it would almost better that they didn't know the truth at all than "dwindle in unbelief." Something like that. So simply put, take the time to become friends with those who are learning about the church or are new to the ward. The blessings will come to both you and them.
I, myself, have come to learn how important the members are. I have sometimes felt alone here as I'm experiencing a new culture and new language, and a different lifestyle and don't know anybody. Funny how the Lord picks a stranger as your companion and then you're "stuck" with them 24/7 and expected to learn how to trust them, open up to them, and then teach in unity! But it works. It just does. Because the Lord has a perfect plan. But the members have helped me feel so welcome here and I can honestly say that I might of thought of giving up if they hadn't helped me feel like I belong here. The young adults and youth are so eager to work with us missionaries and that is a huge blessing! I just love how I can walk into the church and have such a warm welcome and feel like I'm family. Yesterday after church they kidnapped Sister Ganzagan and I, made us jump into a tricycle, and drove us to a huge fiesta! My goodness. Those tricees can fit so many people on them. 13 people were riding on it! Inside, outside, and on top. Do you know what they look like?! Everyone knows I'm a huge Harry Potter fan (nerd alert. No shame), but just picture the little bike and side cart he has. That's literally what we ride all the time. That and these things called pajuks which is someone riding a bike, and then we sit on this cart attached with an umbrella over the top, kind of like the tricycles, but it's manual labor. I love transportation here! Anyways, the members were so silly about it and they find so much joy in feeding us missionaries and making us try all these weird things. Filipino parties are fun. Especially when you fit the entire ward into somebody's house! So if there's anything more that I can say, BE A MISSIONARY! It doesn't mean you have to submit your mission papers, although that's one way, but serve. Be a friend. Be an example. BE LIKE THE SAVIOR! I can promise you that as you do so, the spirit will fill up your life and you will feel the joy from helping others come unto Christ.
I love you all so much! Remember the reason for the season. So cliche but such a true statement. Jesus Christ is my Savior. He died for you and me and I know that to be true from the bottom of my heart. Let him be the center of your lives!
Love,
Sister Stettler

No comments:

Post a Comment